Flocks of Feathers!
Sorry I meant to post this sooner but better late than never, right? I have had an extremely eventful few weeks. Starting off I have completed the Koi Fish Pond piece and results are... well... I'll be straight with you they need work. They didn't quite turn out how I had envisioned, but thats ok because failure is apart of learning. In better news I finished a commission that a client had asked of me, she gave me the colors she wanted and left the rest to me. I settled on a feather design that I found online and after a lot of trial and error I am finally happy with the end result! Additionally, exciting shows are in the works as I am gearing up for the St. Pete Awakening Festival on March 11th and 12th. Lastly I have been in communication with Blick art store here in Tampa and they have agreed to showcase my art in their store!
Before we dive into all those other exciting events lets talk about Mr. Fish. I know what worked well and what fell short. I really like how the pour came out on the cake plates, the colors worked great and the bits of green looked just how I wanted. the stencil worked as intended but I noticed that it works better on solid color backgrounds. Unfortunately thats about where it ends for what went right and now heres what I learned. The reason that most people don't paint on cardboard is because the moisture warps the board. Also, trying to spray a stencil on a warped board is not the easiest thing to do. Finally, I believe I need another stencil of the body of the fish so that its not so transparent.
Koi Pond Mk1 & 2
Ok enough of that! Let's talk about something more successful! As you may have noticed on the front page I have developed a new style of acrylic pour, The Feather! Several weeks ago a friend asked me to make a painting for her room that matched her color scheme. She gave me gold, turquoise, and light blue. It was then up to me to make something with those colors. I was watching art tutorials on youtube when I found one for the feather. I was completely blown away from how amazing it looked. I messaged her and informed her that I had found her painting. Now, I'd like to say that it was a total cakewalk and it was beautiful the first attempt and everything was just peachy. I'd like to say that... the reality is that this was one of the hardest techniques I have done yet. No scratch that, this was the hardest technique I've done since starting this endeavor. What you see posted here is the cumulation of 2 weeks of trial and error (mostly error). There was 1 point that I almost gave up due to frustration (but I didn't :D). Basically, to make one of these feathers I needed to pour 2 cups of paint on top of each other controlling the speed of the paint exiting the cup, the speed of my hands moving across the canvas, the location of the cups, and the fluidity of the paint. But I have to say the end result is pretty spectacular!